Monday, January 18, 2010

Have I Mentioned How Much I Hate Karaoke?

This video is the most fun I've ever had doing karaoke in Vietnam for a few reasons:



1. It was an English song so I actually understood what was being BOOMED into my ears a billion decibels too loudly.

2. The room was smoke-free. Thirty minutes later the Vietnamese boys would be puffing away on cigarettes.

3. This took place in the first hour. I always say I can stand karaoke for an hour. After an hour I want to shoot myself.

4. It was just Huyen and me in the room (actually it was just me and then Huyen walked in) since we were the first ones to show up. Having an empty room allows you to be extra stupid. We were actually slow dancing while singing some cheesy romantic song when her first friend came into the room.

I'm pretty sure if there is a hell and I end up going there, I'm going to be spending all eternity in a Vietnamese karaoke room. Seriously, I f@*&^%g hate Vietnamese karaoke.

Please add to my resolutions from a few days ago: I will karaoke as little as possible this year.

5 comments:

mom said...

Your Mount Pleasant vocal music award wasn't for naught....Oy, what a voice - only a mother could love it :)

Laura said...

thank you for sharing that! man, that would put a smile on just about anyone's face, i think.

unrelated, have you heard anything more about how LH in KY and his family are doing?

Benjamin said...

Huyen I think loved that video more than anyone...although unlike my mom she doesn't think I have a good singing voice.

Laura, LH hasn't said anything more about his family. However, he did write a log comment the other day on my blog titled "Shame." Hopefully everything has turned for the better for LH since he wrote that comment about everyone sending him good thoughts.

Ellen said...

Hi Ben,
I haven't been on your blog for a while and enjoyed reading the things you said about the similarities in our cultures. It was very insightful.
I have to say that while I laughed at your vocal attempt I agree with your mom....don't give up the day job.
Wish yo were here. Steve and I are going to a wedding in Palm Beach, Fla this weekend and then will celebrate Lauren's big 3-0 next weekend at the Joint in LA. I can't believe my baby is so old. What does that make me? Old old!
Hope all is well in Hanoi. Can I donate some money to your school?
Love ya tons, E

Benjamin said...

You're still young, Ellen!...although I'm in shock that Lauren is turning thirty too.

Thanks for asking about donating to the school. Once the school is set up I'm gonna set up a program for people to sponsor a student. Unfortunately most Language Schools in Hanoi are geared for rich people. My school is already going to be much cheaper than the major schools but it is still pricey for people. I'm hoping people will eventually donate money to sponsor a poor student. I'll hopefully be able to even put a name and face of a sponsored student with the sponsors so that students can send a "thank you" and give updates on their English skills.