Sunday, January 17, 2010

Changes of Biblical Proportions

Ryan and I lived a one minute walk to Dong Da Lake. Dong Da lake is one of the biggest lakes in Hanoi. You may recall me talking about the lake during the floods last year because fish from the lake were swimming in front of our house. Anyway, here's a picture of what the lake looks like:

Actually, let me take that back. That was a picture of what the lake looked like. I drove by the lake the other day and it was gone. Yes, gone. The whole lake was drained. Here's a picture I took from the only part of the lake that didn't have a huge barrier around it (I'm assuming this is where the tractors and cranes enter from):

Huyen thinks that the city is cleaning the lake but I'm not so sure. I wouldn't put it past Hanoi to be using this giant area as a place to put more tall buildings which seems to be the M.O. these days. One of my favorite things about Hanoi are the lakes all around the city. If in the name of development, Hanoi starts draining these one by one, this place is going to quickly lose its charm.

3 comments:

Steve Jackson said...

Don't worry - they're just cleaning it.

Yen said...

(maybe they will drag waste out of the lake bed)
Ha (river) Noi (inside, within).
Hanoi's not Hanoi without lakes and the Red river.

Jessica said...

That makes me so sad! I really liked that lake. I hope they're only cleaning it.