Sunday, December 14, 2008

Tailgate

(PICTURE: My Dad and brother at the tailgate a few years/pounds ago...)

A couple weeks ago while I was eating some strange meat on a sidewalk I had a flash of homesickness:

One of the things I miss most about home is that it is football season. And no, I don't miss watching games. I miss tailgating. My family has had NY Jets season tickets since the Jets played at Shea Stadium. I have always loved going to football games with my dad and brother but it wasn't until about a decade ago that we started to get the full football experience -- we joined the best damn tailgate in the world.

Every once in a while I get a nice reminder from my brother what I'm missing. He sent me this email in October:

forgot to tell you that we had 2 deep fried turkeys at the tailgate this weekend. we also had lamb shish-kabobs and I brought two steaks marinated in a "texas teriyaki" sauce that I found. It was teriyaki with the kick of cayenne peppers.

(PICTURE: The traditional "toilet bowl" dessert. The bowl was painted by my brother a few years ago. It made him a legend at the tailgate.)

Man, I would kill for some tailgate right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone always asked when you are coming back. Today we had some lobster bisque,tons of steak, pork roll covered in bacon strips and some of your mother's pumkin bread. It was a tailgate fit for a King.

Benjamin said...

A Thai King? You just made my mouth water dad! A father who really loves his son would freeze all that and send it FedEx for me in Hanoi...or to greet your daughter and me in Chaing Mai!