Sunday, April 27, 2008

No Red-Heads In 'Nam


(PICTURE: Brett busy reading my blog at work)

Despite having been in Asia for two months, I'm still not over the feeling that people look at me as if I have three heads whenever I walk down the street. People still turn in wonderment, children still yell out "hello" followed by a giggle, and motorbike drivers --even if I'm standing next to my motorbike holding a helmet-- ask me if I need a ride. 

That said, I was thinking yesterday: "If they think I'm a freak, I wonder how they would react to a pale red-head." Just like birds in Guangzhou, I haven't seen a red-head in 'Nam yet. They just don't exist. Nada. Zilch. None.  Speaking of red-heads, I wanted to give a shout out to my favorite one-- Happy Birthday, Brett!

In other news, I was told the other night that during the rainy season my alleyway floods about two feet high. Thank goodness my room is on the second floor! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you bring your galoshas (translated to the current generation "rubber boots")?

Anonymous said...

Questioning why the time on the comment is 3 hours behind real time...

Anonymous said...

so you know your alley is a good place for a swim.

Anonymous said...

that's what she said.