Sunday, April 27, 2008

Motorbikes and Massages


(PICTURE: Me on my bike in Da Nang) 

This morning I bought two helmets: one for me and one for you. Yup, you, my future visitor. One helmet is maroon and the other is black. You can choose which you want. 

After purchasing the helmets, Steve, Ryan and I drove around Ha Noi for a few hours. I thought the best way to get used to the city was just to get lost in it. We ended up going around the largest lake in Ha Noi and finding a great breakfast spot for American breakfast. On the way back towards my house I nearly got into my first accident. I was making a right turn and some punk and his girlfriend/sister was making a left onto the street I was on. We both slammed on our brakes, smiled at each other and drove off. We were probably lucky not to hit each other but even if we did I would have been fine with my new solid Honda bike helmet. 

This afternoon we all decided to get massages. We went to a  place called, "Just Massages" in some alley in my neighborhood. It's a pretty famous place because it gives seeing impaired people jobs as masseuses. This may sound familiar since I blogged in Shanghai about a famous "blind masseuse." Well, apparently they are everywhere and I'm 99% sure that none of the employees are actually blind. Okay, that's not totally true since when I was waiting for my massage in the lobby a woman literally walked into me and slammed her elbow into my head. Standing behind her was some guy who motioned to me that she couldn't see. That said, the guy who gave me a massage (yes, a guy...no jokes Hannah) had perfect vision. He also had a love of dishing out pain. I asked for a shiatsu massage rather than a Swedish one because my back has been killing me. Well the guy proceeded to torture me for an hour. Some of the worst moments were when:
a) he pulled my hair for literally 10 minutes
b) he punched me in the back about fifty times
c) he gave me an indian burn on my ears
d) he found/pushed/elbowed every pressure point in my body
e) he gave each one of my fingers an indian burn
f) he pushed my eye-sockets backwards
g) he stretched me in positions that even yoga masters couldn't do

Anyway, I'm 99% sure I'm going to have a dozen black and blue marks tomorrow but my back is actually feeling pretty good. 

Off to dinner in a bit...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to wear my new helmet! So thoughtful of you!!

Baby Songer said...

I wonder what the precursor was that led them to name the shop, "JUST Massages"?

Anthony said...

Okay. First off, when we took our motorcycle class together, we quickly came to realize that those things were death machines. How you have changed. I just hope that you don't get into opium or something.

Also, when Elissa and I both visit you what is she going to wear?

sky goddess said...

Thanks for buying me a helmet! Now just cross your fingers my sister ends up in okinowa and you can come visit US! Haha

Baby Songer said...

I also bought a helmet (which would go unused in the States) so Ben will actually have 3 helmets by mid May when I take off.

Anonymous said...

I warned you about the blind massage! Jason and I went to a school for the blind massage place in Saigon and I swear not only did they break fifteen different bones in my body, they also used some sort of menthol/tea tree oil which left my entire body tingling/burning in agony for a week after. Definitely one of the more uncomfortable/bizarre experiences...Unless you count our first day in Hanoi and we were so excited to check out the much talked about, oh so beautiful Hoan Kiem Lake and the first thing we see when we get there is the guy standing next to us whip it out and start relieving himself right into the lake. Oh the beauty of Vietnam...LOVE the blog, keep writing and have fun and be safe (especially on the bike)!!!
Packer