Monday, April 7, 2008

My New Best Friend In Vietnam


The one highlight from Sunday was that I made a new best friend--the girl in the picture. She is the daughter of the row boat captain (what is the term for a person who pushes you in a row boat?) and probably the cutest little kid I have ever seen. She and I played a Vietnamese version of paddy cake for about thirty minutes. I tried to teach her thumb wrestling but she wasn't going for it. Instead she was a big fan of shadow puppets. She was totally mesmerized by my thumb-locked bird.


I just want to give a quick happy birthday shout-out to my favorite people born on April 7th--Seth and Shaps! It's been too long since we celebrated a birthday in Madrid. Speaking of birthdays, I just found out that when you are born in Vietnam you are considered 1 year old. So, in Vietnam I'm 29, not 28. That means I'm about to have my thirtieth birthday in seventeen days. What the hell! Hannah thinks I'm in the midst of a quarter-life crisis. Well if she is right, this is going to spiral me down to a new level of freaking out. I have about a ten page rant about this that I'll save for a blog closer to my birthday when it has proper time to marinate in my brain.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's a cutie! Glad you are practicing entertaining little girls!!

Benjamin said...

Mom, that's the creepiest thing you've ever written! I'm debating on deleting your comment. They arrest people in Southeast Asia for things like that.

Anonymous said...

I thought that shadow puppets,paddy cake, and thumb wrestling were obviously kids games but maybe I am naive. I know you are a kid at heart!

Anonymous said...

Ben-
Can you block users from leaving comments? I'm worried for your safety now.

Baby Songer said...

If you're having a quarter life crisis, means you're gonna be about 120 years old when you kick it. Frankly, I'm in my own mid-life one (yup, not planning on going past 60)...don't ever want to have to start paying attention to those prescription drug ads on tv/magazines.