Wednesday, February 16, 2011

No Market Allowed


(PICTURE: Our local market after most of the vendors have left.)

Part of my food tour for Rick was to take him to our local market. While walking through the market, Rick pointed at this sign and asked what it said:


(PICTURE: Notice the exclamation mark.)

Using my amazing Vietnamese I translated that it said, "Market" and pointed at the word "cho" and ignored the other words around it. Immediately Huyen starting laughing and explained that the sign actually read, "Market not allowed."

To me this is just a great symbol of Vietnam: Everyone knows the rules/laws yet blatantly ignores them. Here's this big sign that says no market yet every single morning and evening a market forms and is packed with all the locals from our neighborhood. Shoot, I'm sure gonna miss Vietnam!

No comments: