Monday, October 11, 2010
Rick and Walter, Where Are You?!!!
Rick and Walter,
Vietnam needs you guys out here ASAP! I just played soccer with Su and 15 of his college buddies and these guys don't have a clue about the fundamental strategies. Just a few things that you would have shaken your head at:
1. Nobody likes to pass. Everybody thinks they can dribble through six players.
2. Nobody knows how to receive a pass. Perhaps the reason nobody passes is because 9 out of 10 times the person getting passed to doesn't trap it properly (all those passers were from my foot).
3. There's no such thing as positioning. Like a bunch of 4th graders, everyone goes towards the ball. At some point Su asked me to switch positions with him on the field. I kind of looked at him and said, "What position are you exactly?"
4. Nobody knows how to throw the ball in. Seriously, every throw-in would have been whistled by stringent NJ referees.
5. A serious lack of oranges and donuts at halftime.
In all seriousness, it was a lot of fun playing with Su and his friends. However, it is interesting that a bunch of soccer obsessed guys don't really know how to play the game. I've commented in the past that one of the reasons I want to raise kids in America is because of extra curricular activities. One of my greatest joys growing up was playing organized sports. That's just something that doesn't exist here.