Thursday, March 5, 2009

Huyen's Visa Story Part 3

After two hours of sitting in a cafe, a half a block from the US Embassy, my phone rang. It was Huyen's number. I picked it up and said, "Hello." There was silence on the other end. After a moment I heard through a choked up voice, "I'm done now."

Huyen didn't get her visa.

I'm not sure what to write because I'm full of anger at the moment. Huyen was handed a form sheet with the reason why she was rejected. There were two blanks on the sheet: "Depending on the nonimmigrant visa classification, other requirements could also apply and have also been the basis for refusal of the visa. In your case you have applied for a B1/B2 (enter Visa type here), but have failed to demonstrate your eligibility due to the lack of ties (short description of missing component)."

The two bolded things are what the interviewer scribbled in. He then said to Huyen that she is too young and doesn't have enough money to go to America. I love my country, but this is fucking bullshit.

I could go on a rant about how Huyen has all her ties to Vietnam (her family, her job, her bank accounts, etc. etc.). But I won't. I could go on a rant about how America is a country that favors the rich -- words literally said to Huyen at the embassy. But I won't. I could go on a rant about how in tough economic times, the USA should open their arms to tourism. But I won't. I could go on a rant about the dozens of times Huyen has befriended/given rides/bought ice cream or dinner for American friends of friends who have come tho Hanoi this past year and when it was America's turn to show some kindness they slammed the door in her face. But I won't. I could go on about how America was once a nation of immigrants but now we're the hardest nation in the world to even just visit. But I won't. I could go on about the criminality of charging $131 for a five minute interview in a country where the average yearly income is $832 (according to our state department's website). But I won't. I could go on a rant about lots of things floating around in my head. But I won't.

All I'm going to say is this: After hanging up the phone with Huyen, I quickly jogged over to the embassy. Huyen was standing in front of the building, tears forming in her eyes. As I hugged her she said, "I really wanted to meet your grandmas, and your brother, and your sister-in-law, and your niece and to see your parents and your sister."

As I typed this, for the first time since I hugged my family goodbye at JFK airport last year, I have tears streaming down my face.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is proof that the bad people ruin it for the good ones. The illegal immigration problem here has made the government over- cautious and Huyen has received the punishment. If they only knew how sweet and innocent she is, they would never have blinked an eye. I'm sorry for both of you to feel the disappointment and hurt.

Anonymous said...

I can not find any word to discribe how was i disappointed and sad because the Embassy didnt understand how i am so honest and how my objective is sooo simple! My tears can not stop dropping when i am reading this post!
Thank you sooo much my OBG, you are so good to me!
Sorry The Augusts that i could not go to visit you!
Anyway, we will go through this. And I hope i will have a better chance for the next time! I think even i will not see my boyfriend and his family, they always are very sweetest and nicest people i have never met, will see all of you soon!

KatduGers said...

I'm really sorry for you and for Huyen - I can understand how angry you are. Is that it, or is there a chance to reapply at some point?

Jessica said...

I'm sorry Ben =(

Laura said...

i am so sorry, ben and huyen! now i'm sitting in my office tearing up. i wish there was something all of us could do.

Anonymous said...

Huyen,

I'm very sorry you won't be able to meet us this summer, but hopefully there will be another opportunity to meet in the near future whether it is in the U.S. or in Vietnam.

-- Ben's Big Brother

**Maria ** said...

Hi Huyen & Ben, I'm so sorry to hear this news. I am one of those people that Huyen took time out of her personal schedule to take me around Hanoi.

Thank you so much and I hope I can see you again.

Maria

Carol said...

Don't give up hope just yet. I am sure your visit to the US will happen.

Benjamin said...

Thanks for your comments. I've also gotten lots of emails from people. To answer your question, Kat, Huyen can reapply tomorrow...and the day after...and the day after that. However, she has to pay $131 ever time. There's something very wrong with a system that makes you pay 15% of an average Vietnamese person's yearly salary just for an interview...and then be told you're not rich enough.

Can you imagine paying $4,800 just for an interview to possibly go on vacation to any country in the world?

Anonymous said...

Awww... Ben & Huyen.. this is so sad! I am very sorry to hear about the news... haven't tried to apply for a visa to the States myself but I do hear from a lot of people that it is quite tough... so... keep the chins up! I hope Huyen will be able to re-apply and get the visa soon. Keep the spirit high!

Anonymous said...

education visa?

Benjamin said...

Education visa only works if you have acceptance from a school and they sponsor you. Huyen also doesn't want to live in America. She just wants to visit. We don't want to do anything shady that could affect a later application for coming to the states.

That said, last night I heard a story about a Vietnamese student who was accepted on a full scholarship to the University of Montana. All the paper work was completed by the University yet the student was still DENIED. The Embassy told the student they thought he wouldn't attend school and would go work for his uncle's restaurant in Los Angeles. This is just one of many ridiculous stories I heard this weekend. It seems any American you bring up visas to out here has a negative story attached to it. I think the old saying applies, "When there is smoke there is fire." There's a problem with this visa system.

Anonymous said...

Ben have you thought about writing a letter to your congressman? Write it from the heart and ask for his help. It can't hurt.

Matt K.

Benjamin said...

Matt, I'm calling Waxman's office on Monday. I already have the letter written. I've gotten so many emails from people who said they'd call their congressman too.

Anonymous said...

Ben. actually visitor visa is the hardest type of visa to get accepted. The reason is that there were many people people in the past used this type of visa to stay permanently in the US. The easiest visa to apply for is either J1-J2, H1 or F2. The only chance that you can be accepted into the US with B1-B2 visa is either you are going to a conference with your company back up or you are really rich compare to vietnamese standard

Benjamin said...

I've since been told this about the visitor visa. However, we were playing by the rules and not trying to get a company to sponsor her when her intention was to just visit my family.

The State Department should write the specific requirements of what they need to grant a visitor's visa. Otherwise they are just taking $131 from people who that amount of money means a lot too. I also understand there are many people who get visitor visas and stay in the USA. That is why they should devote the time to analyze each case. In Huyen's she would be going with me and be with me the whole time. There is no mystery as to where she would be or what she would be doing, etc. The interviewer could easily have pulled up my information and seen no red flags.

Also to tell Huyen she has no ties to Vietnam is insulting after she showed documented proof that her whole family lives in Vietnam.

If the State Department isn't going to let people go unless X, they should say that. Otherwise they're taking money and perhaps even worse, giving people a very negative opinion of America.

cpak001 said...

i meant to comment when you posted this but my phone doesn't let me (and i'm usually reading your blog on my phone). best of luck with this frustrating situation!! i can only imagine how sickening/infuriating it felt for you two. the embassy should read your blog!! haha