Friday, December 5, 2008

The Boys Are Back In Town

(PICTURE: Hien, the best damn Xe Om in HCMC).

On Wednesday afternoon Hien picked me up at the airport...just like she did nearly 9 months ago on March 15th. The only difference between now and then is that I can speak about twenty words of Vietnamese AND I can drive a motorbike. I put the second difference immediately to use and drove Hien, on her motorbike, to the Language Corps office.



(PICTURE: Three of the loveliest ladies in HCMC.)

When we got to the office, waiting there was Ryan...juts like he was nearly nine months ago. Ryan happens to also be in town prior to his vacation to Cambodia and Laos. In case you haven't figured it out, that is why the title of this post is "The Boys Are Back In Town."...although one could argue we're now men. Almost a year in 'Nam can do that to you.

Yesterday, we went fishing with Hien, Linh a large group of recent Language Corps graduates who are living and teaching in Saigon. A few of the teachers are ahoyhanoi fans including Genessa, who I became email friends with back in July prior to her coming to Vietnam. One thing Genessa didn't tell me about herself over email though is that she makes a hell of a brownie. Genessa claims she baked the brownies for her friend Katy's (spelling?) birthday but I think we all know she really baked them in honor of her favorite blogger coming south.
(PICTURE: Genessa, master brownie maker.)

For those of you who are curious, we caught exactly ZERO fish. Not even a tug.

(PICTURE: Ryan showing the locals how to fish.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben, Just curious, what species of fish were you fishing for and what kind of bait were you using? LH

P.S. You are a very fortunate person to have such a support network which includes a loving mother, father, and siblings. From all I've read on your blog these past several months I know you understand and are thankful for those people who love and care about you. I'm thankful for having found your blog and having chatted with you online. Once again, stay safe, and as the French Foreign Legionaire told me long ago, "never zig when you are suppoed to zag"! (a little humor to lighten the mood)

Benjamin said...

LH, it always brings a smile to my face when I see your comments. Thanks for being such a loyal reader and for all your comments. I'm now waiting for you to start your blog so I can be an avid reader.

The fish was an "elephant fish." If you google it and click on images a whole bunch of pictures of cooked elephant fish will appear. For bait we used really skinny worms. Perhaps it was the wrong bait since we didn't catch anything except some leaves and sticks.

Genessa said...

I made it on Ahoy Hanoi! What a privilege...good thing brownies are one of the 5 things I can cook well. :)