Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Day Blues

I've been asked a couple of times what I did for Thanksgiving. The highlight of the day was when Huyen rang my doorbell at 10:45 AM holding a giant mango and an even bigger smile. I asked here why she was at my house so early on a work day and she said, "To wish you a happy Thanksgiving day."

Huyen and I ate the mango together and in this way it was the closest I've ever come to the original Thanksgiving -- sharing local crops with the natives.

Besides that though the day was uneventful and frankly depressing. I had to work until 9:30 PM and then had my big Thanksgiving meal by myself since Huyen had dinner with Ryan's parents who were visiting. I went to my favorite new chicken spot (been there 5 times in 8 days) and ordered the largest plate of chicken they had and pretended it was turkey:

After I got home Huyen and I went for coffee and shot some pool. I think it goes without saying that besides my family, the thing I'm most thankful for this year is Huyen.

That said, I was definitely homesick on Thursday. There's really no replacement for sitting in my dining room in Livingston with my family. Perhaps next year Huyen can join us for Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you come home, we'll have a Thanksgiving celebration BECAUSE you are home - all the trimmings, I promise.

Ryan said...

Are you trying to say that I'm now the third wheel?

Anonymous said...

I will even make some peanut butter pie!!!

Laura said...

well happy belated thanksgiving. for what it's worth, i bet mangoes with huyen was better than a lot of peoples' thanksgivings. if that helps. and not in a downer way, but like most people can only take so much of their families/their in-laws and thanksgiving starts to push that. so you should be doubly thankful that you have a great family and now i'm back to making you miss them again. i'm bad at this. but hannah will be there soon! i'm so excited for hannah to show up!

Benjamin said...

Laura, there might be a delay on Hannah's appearance on the blog depending on:
1) Thailand
2) Internet Access
3) My laziness

I might have Hannah write my first ever guest blog entry.