Friday, October 24, 2008

Mom and Dad Meet My Classes

It was officially "Take Your Parents To School Day" in Vietnam yesterday. Mom and Dad swung by Language Link and got to see the school and meet a whole bunch of my students.

Luckily for my parents, yesterday was the best day of the semester for my classes -- the day after final exams. As I've mentioned before, teachers always go out with their students during the last class. My first class went to dinner together and ate hot pot. Here's a video:




My next class went out to a cafe and had coffee. Here are some of the highlights from the night:
1. My students telling me that, "Your father is more handsome than you."
2. My students all agreeing that, "You don't look like your family."
3. Receiving three more gifts from students including this awesome hand knit scarf that reads, "Happy Time. We Do Miss U!"
It was made Phuong, one of my favorite students:














4. Being invited to my first Vietnamese wedding on November 20th...which is also coincidentally Vietnamese teacher day.

5. One of my students asking me what my Dad's name was. I said, "Buddy" and he looked shocked. He said, "Really? Like friend or pal? That's cool!"

At the end of the night we took a class picture.

3 comments:

Justin said...

I TOTALLY missed the "Old McDonald" accapella by your mother. I think because I was busy hearing about how [we'll call him] Tam idolizes the band Muse and likes to buy their exact wardrobes.....but he can't find the red vest anywhere.

I had a damn good time at that dinner.

Anonymous said...

Old McDonald must have been influenced by Lilah August. You know you can always count on your mom in a tough situation. A Beatles' song may have gone over better with the group since they eat all those animals.
Parents look great. I know they are having a wonderful time just being with you.
Can't wait to hear all the stories.

Anonymous said...

The classes both love you, Ben. And their English isn't so bad either!