Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Google Analytics

Some of you may have noticed that about a week ago I took down the counter on my website. I decided that instead of having a counter with some annoying advertisement I'd instead sign up for google analytics.

For those of you who have never heard of google analytics, don't worry, neither did I until last week. Basically it's a free google site that tells you nearly everything about who is visiting your website. When I say nearly everything, I mean nearly everything. It's basically the real life version of Orwell's Big Brother. I can now see where people are logging on to my site, for how long, how often, where they are coming from, going to, etc. So yeah, those of you who pretend to read my blog, I now know you're not OR just reading it for two seconds.

After a week here is some of the cooler information I've gotten:
1. I had 582 visits on my site last week.
2. I had 236 Unique Visitors. That means 236 different people read my blog. That's 234 more than I thought...the two being my mother and I.
3. The Average person reads my blog for 5 minutes and 18 seconds.
4. The Average Person in Livingston, NJ (my hometown) reads my blog for 1:31 seconds. That means my MOTHER gets bored from my website faster than almost everyone else!
5. In the USA, I'm the most popular in California. I had 97 hits there last week. That's followed by 90 in NYC, 50 in NJ, 12 in Colorado (Hi, Ryan's family!), and 11 in Illinois. After that I've got people in 17 other states reading my blog. Pretty cool....except for the fact that only 8 people are reading it in DC. Come on, Hannah, I thought you got your friends to bookmark my site!!!
6. My blog is also popular in other places. I currently have people reading my blog in 18 countries: USA, Canada, Vietnam, Israel, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, France, Germany, the UK, Italy, South Korea, Turkey, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Greece and China.

That said, the COOLEST thing about google analytics is I can see how people FOUND my site. For example, what did they put into google as search words that gave them ahoyhanoi. The number 1 search people have used is pretty obvious: "ahoy hanoi." Well, the second one isn't quite as obvious and well it is frankly HILARIOUS. Can you guess what it is? I'll give you ten seconds:
10
9
8
7
6
5
4
3
2
1
Okay, the number two search put into google to find my website is: "VIETNAMESE GIRLFRIEND NEEDED." That's not as random as you think. The #8 most used search words were, "Vietnamese Girlfriend." I also like the 16th and 17th most searched words: "Hanoi Famous Massage Place" and "Hanoi + Massages." Number 23 is great too: "Meeting Girls In Hanoi."

Ahoy Hanoi offers a little something for everyone!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am definitely your best fan and the reason the time reading the blog is short is that I check it a few times a day to see if anyone has made new comments. I finally caught on that you only update at 7P.M. our time so you are DESSERT! Today I got a note in the mail from a woman I've known for years and she started reading the blog after the article was in the Tribune. You have an amazing following!!

Benjamin said...

That makes sense. I figured you were checking 100 times a day! Actually I can see that. One person has clicked on my blog 240+ times. It was either me or you...but I'm pretty sure it's you! Glad my viewership is increasing. Can you scan a copy of the article for me (yes, that requires using a scanner!) so I can post it on my blog? Thanks. Love you!

Anonymous said...

You were in the Tribune?!?! THAT'S HUGE! way bigger than being blog of the month on expats

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that i read your blog everyday. In fact i drive up the time on the blog because i read very very slowly. I found your blog because your mother leaves it on all the time and tells me to read it. I think one night she is going to give me an exam on what you wrote.

Benjamin said...

Dad, I have noticed that you're reading the blog at work too! I know everything.

Hannah, don't try and cover up for the fact that DC is lagging way behind Kentucky.

Anonymous said...

Is this like American Idol where we have to hit the blog 100 times a day to be counted? We'll call it the Hanoi Connection.
Did you forget about me? I'm a loyal fan too.
Glad you have so many readers from around the world, you'll have a place to crash in every port! Did you change the lock on your garage door yet?

Hien said...

LOL it is funny. I can't be able to be anonymous anymore. I am excited with your discovery though. Are you trying to spy your fans?? :)

Baby Songer said...

I have nothing to hide...does it also show that I right-click and save all the photos of you?

Benjamin said...

Just to clarify: it doesn't tell me EXACTLY who is siging on. For example it tells me how many people in Livingston are reading and for how long. Now the exact address of those people.

And yes, Susan, I put you down as a top five reader. You're way more loyal than your son!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ben, Thanks for mentioning Kentucky in comments. Maybe We'll make it on the blog one of these days. As always, I enjoy your writing. LH in Kaintuckee

Raúl said...

me gusta mucho tu blog lo visito a diario visita el mio y si t gusta deja un comentario y enlazamos nuestros blogs

Nikki (www.bookpunks.com) said...

Well, now you've got one more in Germany. :)

cpak001 said...

so what's it say when i check your blog from my phone (which is usually where i check from?). i'm sf area but right now i'm in seattle - does it say seattle??

Benjamin said...

Welcome Raul, Pablo and Click Clack Gorilla!

Chi-Na, I'm not sure about how phones work. I've had four hits in Seattle for less than a minute. However, I've had one hit in San Fran for about 29 minutes.

Mr. Marinara said...

thats some fine SEO work youve done for your site. I have been trying to rank for "vietnamese girlfriend needed" since I got out of the sandbox. incredible!

Anonymous said...

that's gold, Jerry

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget Aunt Donna as one of your 50 loyal NJ readers - hi Ben!!

Marcus Vu said...

Hi Ben, I "discovered" your Ahoy Hanoi yesterday and what I've done was spending almost my night to read it. I really enjoy your writing, videos and photos. Your writing the most, of course, because you are very talented in storytelling. Then the videos and photos, well, you are handsome and cute at the same time.

And last but not least, Your family is great! I enjoy their comments so much.

A Vietnamese living in Hamburg (Germany)