Friday, May 23, 2008

Cold, Flu or Dengue Fever?



(VIDEO: Huyen cooking me lunch to make me feel better)

For the last couple of days I've been pretty under the weather. I've got a slight fever, extreme body sweats, congestion in my head, a runny nose and aches in my muscles and joints. If I was in the USA I would just assume I have a nasty little cold or a slight case of the flu. Further evidence of this would be the fact that Ryan has been sick for about a week.

That said, I'm not in the USA which makes me slightly paranoid that I may have something worse than the cold or flu. For example I'd say there's a fifty-fifty shot I've got Dengue Fever. It's prevalent in Southeast Asia and all it takes to get it is a bite from an infected mosquito. According to wikipedia here are the symptons:

This infectious disease is manifested by a sudden onset of fever, with severe headache, muscle and joint pains (myalgias and arthralgias—severe pain gives it the name break-bone fever or bonecrusher disease) and rashes. The dengue rash is characteristically bright red petechiae and usually appears first on the lower limbs and the chest; in some patients, it spreads to cover most of the body. There may also be gastritis with some combination of associated abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.

Other symptoms include:

  • fever;
  • bladder problems;
  • constant headaches;
  • severe dizziness; and,
  • loss of appetite.
These symptoms are quite similar to the common cold/flu. Making me even more nervous is that I just had a rash. Granted it's gone but still, I had a rash! And well, my stomach always hurts! And on top of that I've only been eating one serving of food at meals. I think that easily constitutes a loss of appetite. Oh, god, I have Dengue Fever!!!!!

By the way, I turned the camera off too soon on this video. A second after I turned it off Huyen says, "I am Vietnamese. I am strong. I do not get sick like you."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever consider going to see a doctor???? Pretty scary reading this entry, especially since I can't check email from the hotel here in Raleigh and surely can't call you...How about using that Skype to call my cell phone?

Benjamin said...

Oh, I'll be fine, Mom! If I don't feel well in a couple days I'll go to the doctor. Dengue Fever takes at least a few weeks to do damage I think. Kidding!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben - hope you're feeling better - we left Raleigh today & flew home while your mom & dad went to see Guy - she wanted me to tell you that she was able to see your latest entry on Guy's computer, but, for some reason, can't get on to her aol account to send you an email - she'll do so as soon as she gets home on Monday evening - hope your appetite returns soon....Hugs & Kisses

ruth-less said...

Ben,
I'm really glad you didn't get dengue. My friend Danielle got it in Cambodia and it messed her up bad. She's recovered thank goodness but it's still got her messed up for the rest of her life.
Stay well. I just got over a good old case of strep throat.