Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Turn Down The AC!


 (PICTURE: Guards in front of Uncle Ho's Mausoleum. No, these guys weren't saluting because it's part of their job, they were saluting because they are big "ahoy hanoi" readers. The third one down on the left recognized me right away and challenged me to Connect Four tonight.) 

This morning we went inside that giant concrete building and checked out Uncle Ho in his glass resting case. A few casual observations:

1. It was the most air-conditioned room in all of Asia. It was freaking freezing in there. 
2. There was a special step-stool around the case for little children; and there were a lot of little children on school trips checking out UH. 
3. I think I can get one of the Guards' uniforms copied in Hoi An for about $40 (depending on whether I want to step up to a nicer material).
4. It seemed a little tacky but they were playing Queen's "We Are The Champions" on a loop inside the mausoleum. 
5. Despite, every guide book saying Uncle Ho looks like wax, I thought he looked like a really old dead guy in glass. 


No comments: