Friday, April 11, 2008

A Little Slice Of America

A couple of really quick anecdotes: 

1. Last night Ryan and I were mesmerizing the girls with tricks that fathers do to their children when they are 1-4 years old. The girls had never seen the tricks and were completely stunned. The first one that got them all excited was the classic dislodged thumb. I showed Au my two hands and removed my right thumb. She screamed out, "how'd you do that!"

My next trick was even better. I put my thumb between my index finger and middle finger and told Au that I took her nose. Au immediately grabbed her face looking for her nose. Yes, it's a "had to be there" moment but was hilarious. 

2. We just taught the girls about American cooking--we made them guacamole. They had never tasted, let alone heard of the dish. We decided to make it for them after I spotted some avocados at lunch yesterday. I asked the girls what they used them for and they said, "shakes." Yup, they drink avocado shakes here. I immediately ordered one and shared it with Ryan (that's what couples do) -- it was actually quite good. 

3. Last night was my final teaching night here in HCMC. After class the class pet came up to me and gave me a sealed envelope with a note inside (yes, the note will be posted but it's at the hotel at the moment). I felt really good that I had my first student with a crush on me...that is until Ryan told me he got the same note from the girl. 

I just took my Vietnamese language final and got a 99%. How, I don't know. I can speak about twenty words and understand about three...I'm really gonna make it out here...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

tinh tu danh tu!

Anonymous said...

Wait...all this time the dislodged thumb thing was only a trick?

I didn't know that...

Hannah said...

I actually have a friend who was born in Vietnam who's missing half his index finger (a story for another time). So let me tell you, when he does that trick, it's hyyyyyysterical.

Linh Ho said...

I am wondering whether I marked correctly your Vietnamese test. We should have Speaking and Listening test next time when you come to visit. But I can say that you writing is good..:)